Archives

The Château du Theil over the centuries

frise 3_edited.png

The origins of the castle go back to 1120, when it belonged to Baron Albert de Charlus, Lord of Laborde, and would belong to the Charlus family until 1468. It passed to the Andrieu who lived there shortly before the revolution. The castle will then be transformed into a minor seminary, from 1886 to 1898, then into a hospital during the First World War. In May 1941, André Chevalier acquired it. From 1943 to 1953, he agreed to welcome the college of Ussel free of charge. In 1980, it was also used as a summer camp. The castle will then belong to his heirs until its takeover in 2019. 

Here are some postcards illustrating certain eras in the history of the castle

1990

Owners : Chevalier family

Function: Private castle

A magnificent vegetable patch on the second terrace of the park. A very pretty fountain stands in the center of the main courtyard. The whole building is still standing. A small wood completes the property north of the castle. Last rather intriguing detail concerning the color of the shutters which are red or brown on the oldest part of the building and white on the most recent part in the South West.

IMG_7458.jpg

Before 1990

Owners : Chevalier family

Function: Private castle

A magnificent vegetable garden, still visible on the second floor of the château, with a large pond in the center.

This re-colorized photo also shows us a front door very flowery, while the back of the castle was only a meadow.

526-9 A.jpg

Before 1990

Owners : Chevalier family

Function: Private castle

This postcard, the date of which is unknown, shows us the magnificent entrance course.

This photo probably dates from the same period as the previous one with all the shutters of the castle painted in white.

1400.jpg
chateau du theil.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg

1943-1953

Owners : Chevalier family

Function: Private castle

This postcard, the date of which is unknown, shows us children in the castle courtyard suggesting that it may be the period of the 2nd World War when the castle was home to the college of Ussel.

IMG_0008.jpg

Unknown date

Owners : unknown

Function: Private castle

This postcard, the date of which is unknown, shows 2 adults taken in pictures in the château's vegetable patch.

IMG_0005.jpg

Unknown date

Owners : unknown

Function: Private castle

This postcard whose date is unknown but which still gives a clue thanks to the presence of the tree in the middle of the courtyard, which will then disappear in more recent times.

IMG_0014.jpg

Unknown date

Owners : unknown

Function: Private castle

This postcard whose date is unknown still shows the tree in the middle of the main courtyard and it also allows us to better see the fountain.

IMG_0024.jpg

Unknown date

Owners : unknown

Function: Private castle

This postcard, the date of which is unknown, shows meadows surrounding the castle. A sign that the current dwellings were not yet topical.

1885

Owners : Bishop's Palace

Function: Religious college

In addition to this, you will need to know more about it.

This postcard shows a rectangular roof on the tower as well as a sheltered extension at the southwest end of the building. These clues show that this is an even older era. Period when the castle was surrounded by meadows as evidenced by the location of the photographer very far from the castle and yet with a clear view of the building.

The castle was fitted out to receive the pupils; the left wing was extended by a new building, to which a courtyard will be added. The old college remained there until 1898, it was closed as an institution.

IMG_0036.jpg
IMG_0030.jpg

Some maps

 

This comparative map shows the evolution of the city of Ussel over the years

carte de 1860.PNG

2017

1860

Comparison of aerial views of the area

vue aerienne.PNG

2017

1960